Porting GNUPG

Dave Smith dave at raystewart.com
Mon Sep 14 09:36:18 CEST 1998

Date: Sunday, September 13, 1998 9:26 PM
Subject: Re: Porting GNUPG

>Isn't the method PGP uses to generate random numbers sufficiently strong
>for the purposes of GnuPG too?  Is there some reason that method hasn't
>been implemented, except for 'tuits?

Good point. At least one other GPL'd encryption project out there is based
loosely on the source from PGP 2.6 (if I remember correctly). That source
code is available, and since it's not a part of the RSA algo, there
shouldn't be any restrictions on it...

As for the El Gamal and DSS usage of the RNG...well, it just goes to show
the extent of my knowledge in such matters. :) But hey, I'm willing to
learn.

D.