gpg logo, static URLs, demo keypair

David Hayes david at hayes-family.org
Sat Feb 6 14:55:58 CET 1999

On Thu, Feb 04, 1999 at 11:30:17AM +0100, Werner Koch wrote:
> > Is there a canonical "Demo" public/private keypair that I should use to
> > demo gpg where the private key is not private at all and has the passphrase
>
> I'll create such a key pair and distribute it with GnuPG.

Wouldn't that cause a problem? This is intended for uninitiated users.
What happens when those users then try to generate their own keys? The
default action is for GPG to assume the first key on the private keyring
is the user's primary key, is it not? If the private keyring already has
a demo key on it, then wouldn't GPG use that key by default? An
uninitiated user might not detect this, and we'd have all sorts of
people trying to use the default demo key as their own.
--
David Hayes
david at hayes-family.org