Some problems on Solaris

Ture Pålsson ture at lysator.liu.se
Sun Feb 14 19:21:58 CET 1999

I asked a friend which version of PGP I should look at, and he said
"GPG" so I decided to take a look at it. :-)

I encountered the following problems with GnuPG 0.9.2 on SunOS 5.6
running on a SPARCstation 10 (actually, a clone from Axil):

  * The configure script does not pick up -lsocket and -lnsl. Easy
    enough to fix, just add

      AC_CHECK_LIB(socket, socket)
      AC_CHECK_LIB(nsl, gethostbyname)

    at some nice place in configure.in.

  * The forked copy of gpg that collects randomness keeps running
    forever. There is a comment in the source code that says it gets
    killed when the parent dies, but whatever mechanism is supposed to
    handle this apparently does not work. I kludged around this by
    adding an if statement that causes the program to drop out if
    errno == EPIPE after the read at cipher/rndunix.c:635. (SIGPIPE:s
    are ignored, so they do not kill the process), so I could get on
    playing with the program.

  * I sometimes get a bus error at cipher/md5.c:146 (the first OP(...)
    line in transform()). It seems that md5_write calls transform with
    a `buffer' argument that is not "aligned enough" to be used as an
    u32*.

  -- Ture