Some problems on Solaris

Jim Seymour jseymour at jimsun.LinxNet.com
Sun Feb 14 18:42:03 CET 1999

> Date: 14 Feb 1999 19:21:58 +0100
> From: Ture =?iso-8859-1?q?P=E5lsson?= <ture at lysator.liu.se>
> Subject: Some problems on Solaris
>
> I asked a friend which version of PGP I should look at, and he said
> "GPG" so I decided to take a look at it. :-)
>
> I encountered the following problems with GnuPG 0.9.2 on SunOS 5.6
> running on a SPARCstation 10 (actually, a clone from Axil):

Wow.  Deja vu all over again :-).

I had posted nearly identical issues just the other day.  So, to
hold you until you hear from Werner...

>   * The configure script does not pick up -lsocket and -lnsl. Easy
>     enough to fix, just add
>
>       AC_CHECK_LIB(socket, socket)
>       AC_CHECK_LIB(nsl, gethostbyname)
>
>     at some nice place in configure.in.
>
>   * The forked copy of gpg that collects randomness keeps running
>     forever. ...
[snip]

In message <19990212124125.E16155 at frodo.isil.d.shuttle.de>, Werner
Koch <<wk at isil.d.shuttle.de> had written:
: I know about -lsocket and -lnsl.  The other problems are
: in rndunix.c which is quite different from the other source files and
: will be replaced by a client for the Entropy Gatherer Daemon (EGD)

By "other problems" he was referring to the problem I noted regarding
the randomness generator.  (Tho I hadn't known exactly what was causing
the load climb.  Apparently he did.)

>   * I sometimes get a bus error at cipher/md5.c:146 (the first OP(...)
>     line in transform()). It seems that md5_write calls transform with
>     a `buffer' argument that is not "aligned enough" to be used as an
>     u32*.

Hmmm...  I wonder if what I reported is related?

In message <19990212001900.C9255BB05 at jimsun>, I had written:
| After getting it to build, I tried "make check".  Results:
|
| $ make check
|    .
|    .
|    .
| Supported algorithms:
| Cipher: 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, BLOWFISH160
| Pubkey: ELG-E, DSA, ELG
| PASS: version.test
| Bus Error - core dumped
| (../g10/gpgm --homedir . -v --print-mds) failed
| FAIL: mds.test
|
| $ cd checks
| $ gdb ../g10/gpgm core
| GNU gdb 4.17
|    .
|    .
|    .
| Reading symbols from /home/jseymour/exp/gpg/gnupg-0.9.2/checks/../cipher/tiger...done.
| #0  0xef5e0a70 in tiger_init ()
| (gdb) bt
| #0  0xef5e0a70 in tiger_init ()
| #1  0x4a324 in md_enable ()
| #2  0x48018 in print_mds ()
| #3  0x477e8 in main ()
| (gdb) quit
| $

As you can see, in my case the bus error is occurring in tiger_init().
But this *looks* suspiciously similar.  I had told Werner I'd try to
debug the problem in more depth.  (Problem is: I'm not very familiar
with gdb.  And it's been *years* since I had to debug to this level.)
Maybe with what you've given him with your report, further efforts on
my part will be unnecessary.  (Werner: let me know.)

I'm building on Sun Sparc Solaris 2.4 (patched), running on a Sparc IPX
(with Weitek [sp?] upgrade) and GCC 2.8.1.

Regards,
Jim
--
Jim Seymour                  | PGP Public Key available at:
jseymour at jimsun.LinxNet.com  | http://www.uk.pgp.net/pgpnet/pks-commands.html