It is Latin

pking at eris.cohums.ohio-state.edu pking at eris.cohums.ohio-state.edu
Mon Feb 22 06:21:43 CET 1999

   > >> ceterum censeo RSA esse delendam
   > >|Delenda est Cartago = Carthago (must) be destroyed
   > >
   > >Isn't it 'Cartogo delenda est'?

Cato (not Scipio) the Elder was said to have ended every speech of his
in the Senate, regardless of topic, with the observation "Carthago
delenda est" ("We should destroy Carthage!"). He got his wish with the
end of the Third Punic War, when Carthage was conquered, razed, and
its fields sown with salt. Hell, there aren't even very many *ruins*
left -- just a few minor excavations along the beachfront in Tunisia.

Peter King				king.4 at osu.edu
Philosophy Department
The Ohio State University		(614)-292-7914 ofc
Columbus, Ohio   43210			(614)-292-7502 fax
    U.S.A.