magic.gpg

Cees van de Griend cees-list at griend.xs4all.nl
Tue Sep 28 01:21:03 CEST 1999

I know, correct magic-entries are a small problem compared to a working
OpenPGP, but I think they would be nice.

On Mon, Sep 27, 1999 at 08:30:30PM +0200, laslo at wodip.opole.pl wrote:
> Werner Koch wrote :
> > > Has anynody ever made a magic number file (see: man 4 magic) for GnuPG or
> > > PGP?
> > # pgp:  file(1) magic for Pretty Good Privacy
> >
> > 0       beshort         0x9900                  PGP key public ring
> > 0       beshort         0x9501                  PGP key security ring
> > 0       beshort         0x9500                  PGP key security ring
> > 0       beshort         0xa600                  PGP encrypted data
> > 0       string          -----BEGIN\040PGP       PGP armored data
> > >15     string          PUBLIC\040KEY\040BLOCK- public key block
> > >15     string          MESSAGE-                message
> > >15     string          SIGNED\040MESSAGE-      signed message
> > >15     string          PGP\040SIGNATURE-       signature
>
> Just add one more line:
> 0       beshort         0x8501                  OpenPGP data

I added the last line, so my GnuPG encrypted/signed files are now
'OpenPGP data'.

If I do a 'file *' in ~/.gnupg, it tells me:

pobox.pub.asc:   PGP armored data public key block
pobox.pub.gpg:   data
pubring.gpg:     data
secring.gpg:     PGP key security ring
trustdb.gpg:     data

	N.B.: the pobox-files are public keys in ASCII en GnuPG format.

So I added the following lines to 'magic':
#
# GnuPG Magic:
#
0       beshort         0x9901                  GnuPG key public ring
0       beshort         0x8501                  OpenPGP data