bad system call on HP-UX 10.20

Ralf Hildebrandt R.Hildebrandt at tu-bs.de
Thu Mar 23 11:22:23 CET 2000

On Wed, Mar 22, 2000 at 07:27:17PM -0600, David DeSimone wrote:

> > Program received signal SIGSYS, Bad system call.
> > 0x7affab10 in _mlock ()
> > (gdb) bt
> > #0  0x7affab10 in _mlock ()
> > #1  0xd7b08 in lock_pool (p=0x7ae94000, n=16384) at secmem.c:120
> > #2  0xd7e2c in init_pool (n=16384) at secmem.c:206
> > #3  0xd8024 in secmem_init (n=16384) at secmem.c:266
> > #4  0x1b3cc in main (argc=0, argv=0x7b03a464) at g10.c:659
>
> The mlock() system call is implemented in HP-UX 11 and above, but not in
> HP-UX 10.20, as near as I can tell.  HP-UX 10.20 implements the plock()
> system call, which is sort of similar, but not the same.

I noticed that there was no mlock man-page.

> Performing an mlock() or plock() interferes with normal swapping
> behavior.  Thus, the privelege must be granted, either by being root, or
> adding your process to the privelege group MLOCK.  A rogue user abusing
> this privilege could easily exhaust a machine's memory and bring it to a
> screeching halt.

Well, when building as unprivileged user and testing as such, it works.
At least I don't get "bad system call" any more. Nevertheless a program
should never crash, but instead throw out an error message.

--
Ralf Hildebrandt <R.Hildebrandt at tu-bs.de> www.stahl.bau.tu-bs.de/~hildeb
The three Rs of Microsoft support: Retry, Reboot, Reinstall.