8 extra bytes ?

Kahil D. Jallad kdj4 at cs.columbia.edu
Mon Apr 2 04:33:11 CEST 2001

Hello,

	I'm working with gpg & the OpenPGP message format, and I was
hoping that someone could help me with the following question (I checked
the archives but could not find anything) :

I am looking at a file output by a public key encrypted message
generated as follows :

"gpg -v --output secret.txt --openpgp -z 0 -e data.txt"

The file seems to be eight bytes longer than it should be, according to
the packet headers. The message syntax, according to OpenPGP, is :

Public Key Encrypted Session Key Packet, Symmetrically Encrypted Data Packet

When I look at a hex dump of the file "secret.txt", I see the headers for
the two packets (and gpg --list-packets confirms the lengths seen in the
headers) but the Symmetrically Encrypted Data Packet is eight bytes too
long - this happens with messages of any size.

I'm looking at the code now, but if anyone can help me out I would greatly
appreciate it . . . I think I'm missing something silly.

Thanks,

Kahil Jallad