GnuPG patch: long fingerprints using PGP biometric word lists

Rohan Talip Rohan_Talip at email.com
Sun Mar 4 20:24:01 CET 2001

(My GnuPG key can be found on http://www.keyserver.net)

I have also attached a PNG image of PGP Freeware 6.5.8 displaying my
fingerprint in PGP biometric words, the signature for which is here:

I have added some new options to gpg:
"-f" short for "--fingerprint", which already existed
"-F" short for "--long-fingerprint"
"-l" short for "--list-keys"

The fingerprint for my public key in PGP biometric words as reported by
gpg:

gnupg-1.0.5rc1/bin rohan at tsunami%1 ./gpg -F Rohan
gpg: NOTE: THIS IS A DEVELOPMENT VERSION!
gpg: It is only intended for test purposes and should NOT be
gpg: used in a production environment or with production keys!
pub  1024D/F802DF18 2000-11-23 Rohan Talip <Rohan_Talip at email.com>
     Key fingerprint = FEEE 7DED 702A 3498 285E  4F0A 8DF0 83D4 F802 DF18
                       woodlark   universe       klaxon     unify
                       guidance   chambermaid    choking    narrative
                       breadline  finicky        dropper    Apollo
                       optic      upcoming       Mohawk     souvenir
                       Vulcan     aftermath      talon      borderline
sub  2048g/5C130AAB 2000-11-23

The GnuPG 1.0.5rc1 (1.0.5 release candidate 1) version string was chosen
to explicitly give the above warning, until such time as Werner Koch
chooses to release a proper new version.

The biometric words in the fingerprint are meant to be read left to right,
as in normal English prose.

The biometric words used can be found at the end of the PGP Freeware 6.5.8
Users Guide.  I wish I had found them before I started this sub-project; I
should have Read The Fine Manual (RTFM).  I actually spent quite a long
time downloading public keys from http://www.keyserver.net with particular
bytes in the fingerprints, just so I could get a complete list of words.

Anyway, at least I verified that the words in the PGP Freeware 6.5.8 Users
Guide _really_ are the ones that are displayed; in a pair of bytes from a
fingerprint, the left byte is used as an index into the list
of 2 syllable words and the right byte is used as an index into the list
of 3 syllable words.

I hope people find the patch useful.

Regards,

Rohan

- --
Email:  Rohan_Talip at email.com    GnuPG/PGP key on http://www.keyserver.net
GnuPG/PGP fingerprint: FEEE 7DED 702A 3498 285E 4F0A 8DF0 83D4 F802 DF18