Strange problem with GnuPG 1.0.4 encrypted data

LO Richard Richard_LO at rta.nsw.gov.au
Wed Nov 28 02:29:02 CET 2001

I am using GnuPG 1.0.4 on NT to encrypt the file and same version run on
Solaris 2.6 to do the decryption.
This problem didn't appear during the testing of hundreds of files and I
have the same problem with error as :
gpg: encrypted with 2048-bit ELG-E key, ID 515D6806, created 2001-10-24
"MY GPG KEY"
gpg: Signature made Mon 26 Nov 2001 01:36:35 PM EST using DSA key ID
52497C82
gpg: Good signature from "ABC"
gpg: [don't know]: invalid packet (ctb=14)
I do get a decrypted file, I guess the data is ok as well as the signature
check, but for some reason
this "invalid packet (ctb=14)" just happen with return code = 2 from
gpg..It's seem to be a problem during
encryption.
Does anyone know what's the cause of this problem ? How to bypass this from
gpg when decrypt the file (since
I can't do anything from the sender's side at the moment) ?
<mailto:richard_lo at rta.nsw.gov.au>

>I have a system which GPG encrypts and signs files and mails them
>from one machine to another, where they are automatically decrypted
>and the signatures verified using a perl program.
>
>Last night a file was transferred which appeared to have a valid
>signature, but then couldn't be decrypted. Gnupg sent the following
>message to stderr:
>
>gpg: Warning: using insecure memory!
>gpg: encrypted with 1024-bit ELG-E key, ID FAFF94B3, created 2001-09-20
[snip]
>gpg: Signature made Thu Oct 4 20:45:46 2001 GMT using DSA key ID 327144DC
>gpg: Good signature from "[snip]"
>gpg: WARNING: This key is not certified with a trusted signature!
>gpg: There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner.
>gpg: Fingerprint: B083 585B 8675 0058 5113 0F98 FA17 F199 3271 44DC
>gpg: [don't know]: invalid packet (ctb=14)
>
>The file was encrypted on a dual PIII 800Mhz machine using GnuPG 1.0.4 as
>distributed with RedHat Linux 7.1. I tried decrypting it both with GnuPG
>1.0.4 and 1.0.6 (RH 7.1 update package), with the same results.
>
>I haven't been able to reproduce this problem yet, but since I'm
>creating and sending dozens of messages like this every day (usually
>without any problems) I rather expect it to manifest itself again
>sooner or later.
> :
> :
> :
>
>--
>Bjarni R. Einarsson PGP: 02764305, B7A3AB89
>bre at klaki.net <mailto:bre at klaki.net> -><- <http://bre.klaki.net/>

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
This e-mail and any attachment to it is intended only to be read or used by
the named addressee.  It is confidential and may contain legally privileged
information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any
mistaken transmission to you.  If you receive this e-mail in error, please
immediately delete it from your system and notify the sender.  You must not
disclose, copy or use any part of this e-mail if you are not the intended
recipient.  The RTA is not responsible for any unauthorised alterations to
this e-mail or attachment to it.