`byte' typedef?

David Champion dgc at uchicago.edu
Wed Jun 12 22:03:02 CEST 2002

GnuPG issues many warnings when I compile it, and I wanted to try
to resolve them just to help clean things up a little. Many of them
(perhaps most) derive from clashes between "char *"-prototyped functions
taking "byte *"-declared symbols. ("Byte" is an unsigned char, which is
not the same as a char, of course.)

I was cleaning these up when I realized that the use of "byte" types was
intentional. What's the reasoning for this? What would be the preferred
way of resolving type conflicts? I had been changing bytes to chars
where it didn't appear to matter whether they were unsigned, but perhaps
casts are preferred?

--
 -D.	dgc at uchicago.edu	NSIT	University of Chicago