Installation problems...

Max V. Zinal Zlat0 at mail.ru
Thu Jun 13 21:52:02 CEST 2002

Strawn, Eric R. wrote:
> I was able to run the configure by executing the following command:
>
> CC=path CFLAGS='-O2 -pipe' ./configure
>
> where the path value is the location of your compiler (in my case, the gcc
> compiler).  When I ran this (again, on HPUX-11i) it ended without any fatal
> errors.  I then went and ran 'make' but came across the syntax error shown
> below:
>
> Making all in keyserver
> Making all in po
> Making all in doc
> Make: line 180: syntax error.  Stop.
> *** Error exit code 1

It seems to me that you are using HP `make'. Not an excellent choice for
building GNU-style software, I think. I do not know whether there is
such a recommendation in GnuPG docs, but I highly recommend you to
install the latest GNU `make'. This is a very simple and straightforward
procedure, even if you will have to build it from sources. This can save
you a lot of time. All the makefiles you are dealing with were generated
automatically by configure, which was utself created by autoconf. Those
guys who have made that stuff expected GNU `make'. There ARE
incompatibilities betweeen different `make's.

Again, I recommend you to alter you PATH so that configure, makefiles
and I don't know who else could find `gcc' and GNU `make'. This simple
decision will save your time.

> When I checked in the /doc subdirectory at the Makefile and Makefile.in
> objects at that particular line (180), I found:
>
> : gpg.texi
> gpg.dvi: gpg.texi
>
> gpgv.info: gpgv.texi
> gpgv.dvi: gpgv.texi
>
> I changed the first line to be commented (#) though I'm not sure that is
> correct.  Should it be the following?:

Modifying an automatically-generated file is not a good idea. I am not a
`make' guru, although I use GNU `make' intensively. I suppose that this
construct is quite OK for GNU `make', but your `make' from HP - or
should I call them HPQ now ;) - doesn't like it.

> Does anyone know if these are related?  Or absolutely unrelated?  I did
> check on the library and it does NOT exist.  The only related objects in the
> /usr/lib/nls/loc/pa20_64/locales.2/ directory that I see are C.iso88591,
> C.iso885915 and C.utf8 which are all executables.

The latter error doesn't make much sence for me. But what I would have
done in such situation:

    1. Install the latest version of GNU `make', either in the binary
form or build it from sources. An executable can be called `gmake' or
`make'.
    2. Alter PATH in your Bourn shell:
         PATH=/path/to/GNUmake:/path/to/gcc:$PATH; export PATH
    3. Once again, unpack GnuPG distribution:
         gzip -dc gpc-1.0.7.tar.gz | tar xvfi -
    4. Run configure as follows:
         CC=gcc CFLAGS='-O2 -pipe' ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/gpg
    5. If configuration fails, then you or me have made a mistake
somewhere. Otherwise, invoke GNU `make':
         gmake

I cannot test all these, because currently I do not have access to
HP-UX. But this _should_ work, although there may be some problems
during compilation. Good luck.

Best regards,
   Max V. Zinal
   Zlat0 at mail.ru