secure sign & encrypt

Robert J. Hansen rjhansen at inav.net
Wed May 22 19:54:01 CEST 2002

> In other words, your threat model says that you do not only trust the
> sender (signer) of a message, but you trust all people who may get
> signed messages from that sender. (Or, alternatively, you as the

<testy>
No.  Please don't make assumptions about my threat model, especially ones
which are subtly and seriously wrong.
</testy>

The `exploit' you're concerned about isn't an exploit at all, except
insofar as to say the weakest point of any cryptosystem is in the
ignorance of its users.  Even in the worst-case scenario, all you can say
is that it only affects people who don't bother to learn the cryptosystem
they're using.  And there is absolutely nothing which can protect people
from their own ignorance.  Trying to do so is a fool's errand.

Although I'm not a core GPG hacker (my work is limited to a C++ binding
for GPGME) and thus my opinion has just about as much weight as your
average Slashdot reader's, I would be extremely displeased to see GnuPG
chase after an ephemeral exploit and, in the process, break RFC.