gpgme idle, Re: gpgme progress meter callback

Marcus Brinkmann Marcus.Brinkmann at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Sep 9 13:38:01 CEST 2002

On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 10:06:51AM +0200, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Sep 2002 20:52:35 +0200, Miguel Coca said:
>
> > BTW, Marcus, I tried the example for GTK+ included in the docs and it
> > doesn't compile (and after fixing it, it didn't work at all). I didn't have
> > the time to debug it properly.
>
> You might want to have a look at Sylpheed.  It uses GPGME for ages and
> I used the idle callback.  Don't know whether new versions og gpgme
> break Sylpheed.

They do, because we don't call the idle function anymore in some isolated
operations (keylist I think).  The issue here is backward compatibility with
multi threaded programs where we didn't specify before if the idle function
is called synchronized or not.

But as we now have the new I/O callback interface, we should deprecate the
idle function anyway, and let users do it properly.  For this it must work,
of course, so I will take a look at it and try to make a GTK+ example.

Thanks,
Marcus

--
`Rhubarb is no Egyptian god.' GNU      http://www.gnu.org    marcus at gnu.org