forcing symmetric cipher AES (7) violates recipient preferences

David Shaw dshaw at
Wed Sep 11 00:29:02 CEST 2002

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 02:47:04PM -0500, Larry Ellis wrote:
> Hello,
> When using the following gpg command:
>                         gpg -e --cipher aes
> I receive the following warning message
>                         forcing symmetric cipher AES (7) violates recipient
> preferences
> AES *is* in the cipher preferences for the recipient, though it is the not
> the first cipher in the list (3des is the first, AES is the second).
> Is it appropriate for GPG to issue this message?  It seems to me that
> specifying any of the ciphers in the list is not a violation.  Also, if I
> specify a cipher that is not in the list at all, then precisely the same
> error message occurs.
> This happens on the development release of 1.1.91 (Windows build from
> nullify), though, for all I know,  it might also happen in earlier releases.

This was a bug in 1.1.91.  It is fixed in the current CVS.  The proper
behavior here is to warn if the cipher algorithm is not in the
preference list at all.

   David Shaw  |  dshaw at  |  WWW