Timing attacks, Twofish housekeeping

mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca
Mon Sep 23 05:14:01 CEST 2002

I've had some email suggesting improvements to the Twofish code; when I
have some spare time I'd like to take another look through the code and
implement some of them.

One issue I was unsure about concerned timing - it was pointed out to me
that the existing code could be vulnerable to timing attacks, in that the
CALC_S macro's execution time depends on a key byte.  Is this an issue we
should be looking at?  My suspicion is that the public-key stuff in GnuPG
is a whole lot *more* susceptible to timing attacks, and that hardening it
against them would be a major headache and unnecessary in the usual threat
model.  I can imagine some situations (conventional encryption, in a
server situation) where a timing attack against Twofish could be a
problem even if we didn't care about timing attacks on the public-key
ciphers.  That seems far-fetched, though.

So I wanted to ask the list: are timing attacks an issue for us at
all?  How much effort is it worth to eliminate them?
--
Matthew Skala
mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca                    Embrace and defend.