Agent implementation

Janusz A. Urbanowicz alex at FUCKUP.fantastyka.net
Thu Sep 26 02:02:02 CEST 2002

On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 11:12:39AM +0200, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Sep 2002 19:20:30 +0200, Florian Weimer said:
>
> > The patch is incomplete, see below.
>
> Thanks.
>
> > In addition, gpg-agent does not do what I want: I start gpg-agent on
> > one terminal, and invoke gpg on some other (or even in a pipe, without
> > a terminal).  gpg-agemt does not query for the passphrase on the first
> > terminal, but tries to use the terminal on which GnuPG is invoked,
>
> This is intended.  I think it would be confusing when the pinentry
> pops up on another terminal and you have to switch to this terminal to
> enter the passphrase - if you at all recognize that there is another
> terminal waiting for an answer.
>
> We can either add an option to gpg-agent to ignore requests to switch
> the tty or DISPLAY or have an gpg option to do this.  This is terminal
> and locale switching is not very well tested, so expect more bugs.
>
> Including gpg-agent in the current GnuPG package is not easy.  We
> might want to ask the Debian folks to make a gpg-agent only package.

Okay, I'm doing the debianization of newpg/gpgagent at the moment. One
problem arised so far - where the pinentry program comes from? Is it a part
of opensc? I have the agent compiled but it fails to fucntion properly as
pinentry is missing.

Alex