GPG for PalmOS?

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Tue Jun 17 14:22:02 CEST 2003

pplf <pplf at wanadoo.fr> writes:

>And I guess UNIX programs are easier to port on PalmOS than on Psion or on
>PocketPC.

Uhh, no.  Someone once explained the intricacies of PalmOS porting to me and
it sounded like a nightmare - you have to hand-assemble everything with
tweezers, just from the description it sounded like so much work that you'd
have to be really enthusiastic to want to do it (I guess that's why the
existing ports have lapsed).  EPOC with Posix is... well, a bit odd but not
too painful, and PocketPC is just a crippled Win32.  In terms of porting an
existing app written for a desktop PC OS (as opposed to a greenfields
development where you've got the leeway to do what you want), my order of
preference would be PocketPC, EPOC, and then PalmOS quite some way behind.
Not trying to bash PalmOS here, just to point out that porting to it is pretty
painful.

Peter.