faster way of determing if the passphrase is correct or not

folkert at folkert at
Mon Apr 11 17:09:19 CEST 2005

> > passphrase is incorrect). This seems to be a slow method: my 2.8GHz P4
> > can only do it 220 times a second. So I was wondering: is there a faster
> I guess we can douple or triple the performance but not much more.
> The whole point of the algorithm is to slow things down.

> Things to do: Avoid the overhead of the cyptoframe work and thus write
> an optimized hash function. Avoid dynamic memory allocation and reuse
> buffers.  And all the other usual micro optmimizations.

Ah yes, and split the passphrase-callback function into two: one for asking
and one for freeing up buffers that might have been created in the first

> It does not make much sense unless you want to write a passphrase cracker, though.

That's what it is for yes ( - altough
I also create friendly programs ( - generate
statistics for your keyring).

Folkert van Heusden

Auto te koop, zie:
Op zoek naar een IT of Finance baan? Mail me voor de mogelijkheden.
 UNIX admin? Then give MultiTail (
 a try, it brings monitoring logfiles to a different level! See for a feature-list.
Phone: +31-6-41278122, PGP-key: 1F28D8AE
Get your PGP/GPG key signed at!