gpgme_cancel() does not stop gpg process from finishing asynchronous call

Marcus Brinkmann marcus.brinkmann at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fri Apr 15 02:10:02 CEST 2005

At Thu, 14 Apr 2005 12:18:55 -0400,
Igor Belyi <gpgme at katehok.ac93.org> wrote:

> Igor Belyi wrote:
>
> > I'll try to look in GnuPG then to see why it doesn't stop or if it is
> > fixed in CVS already.
>
> And the sad story is that it will never be fixed in stable GnuPG... :o(

Yeah, that may be the case.

Well, I could still apply your patch as a temporary work-around ;) I
will consider it.  That it doesn't touch any external interfaces etc
makes it easier for me.

> Marcus, I'll let you decide what to do. ;o) But for now if somebody asks me
> why Cancel in my code doesn't work I'll refer them to my patch as a workaround.

Just to be sure: cancel in GPGME does work, right?  It's just that the
gpg process keeps running until it completed its key generation,
right?  That's not too bad - key generation is not a common operation,
and most users probably won't even notice that the computer keeps
being busy for a couple of seconds draining the entropy pool after
hitting that cancel button...

So, the negative impact of this problem seems to be rather small to me.

Thanks,
Marcus