GnuPG 1.9.95: gpg2 segfaults on build test

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Fri Nov 10 15:26:32 CET 2006

Werner Koch wrote:

>> Removing -O2 seems to cease the error.
>> I'll apply this in my build ENV.
>
> Well, sitting at the SFScon at Bozen, Marcus and me tracked down the
> bug.  It is very easy to fix and actually an oversight when I wrote
> mpi_read.  It reveals it self only on 64 bit machines because there
> sizeof(unsigned int) != sizeof(size_t).  gcc should have emitted a
> warning when compiling on 64 bit. I agree that gnupg is a lot of code
> and such warnings are easily overlooked.
>
> I attach a patch.  Most of it is just re-indentation.

Better, no more segfaults, but now 'make check' hangs...

make[3]: Entering directory
`/builddir/build/BUILD/gnupg-1.9.95/tests/openpgp'
gpg (GnuPG) 1.9.95
NOTE: THIS IS A DEVELOPMENT VERSION!
It is only intended for test purposes and should NOT be
used in a production environment or with production keys!
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.

Home: .
Supported algorithms:
Pubkey: RSA, ELG, DSA, ELG
Cipher: 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, AES, AES192, AES256, TWOFISH
Compression: Uncompressed, ZIP, ZLIB, BZIP2
PASS: version.test
Hash algorithm SHA-224 is not installed (not an error)
PASS: mds.test
FAIL: decrypt.test
... waiting forever ...