gnupg: with-colons option breaks encoding

Petr Uzel petr.uzel at suse.cz
Mon Jun 16 08:21:19 CEST 2008

Hi,

> The options --with-colons is supposed to print utf-8 which is the native
> format of OpenPGP.  Thus print_string is correct.  print_utf8_string
> would convert it first to the native encoding which is wrong.
>
> What you see is C-style quoting:
>
>   10. Field:  User-ID.  The value is quoted like a C string to avoid
> 	      control characters (the colon is quoted "\x3a").
>               This is not used with --fixed-list-mode in gpg.
>               [...]

Thanks for the explanation - now it's clear. I was previously confused by the
description in gpg manpage which says nothing about the quoting (my mistake
not to read doc/DETAILS carefully).

Have a nice day,

--
Best regards / s pozdravem

Petr Uzel, Packages maintainer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.                          e-mail: petr.uzel at suse.cz
Lihovarská 1060/12                          tel: +420 284 028 964
190 00 Prague 9                             fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic                              http://www.suse.cz