USB Token for GnuPG

NIIBE Yutaka gniibe at fsij.org
Tue Mar 10 01:50:17 CET 2009

Hi,

I'm new to this list, pardon my ignorance if any.

I have an idea for USB Token which speaks OpenPGP card protocol, and
its Free Software implementation.  The use-case will be like FSFE
membership card, but it won't require USB card reader.

I have done a little development with Atmel AVR ATmega328P 20MHz.
Currently, my mockup code works for "gpg --card-status" and
"gpg --clearsign".  RSA signing takes five seconds or so.  Not that
good, but not that bad, I think.

I know that it's totally not secure than Smart Card.  Still, I think
that it could be used for some cases which don't require much
security, and it could be a reference device side Free Software
implementation.

Does it make sense?

Attached is a picture of my device.  Any comments will be appreciated.