RSA+RSA is now the default

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Sun May 17 14:00:40 CEST 2009

Hi!

I just committed changes to the GnuPG trunk to make RSA with an RSA
subkey the default.  This also changes the order of the presented
algorithms, but 1 is still the default.  The interactive --gen-key has
never been intended for use by frontends, thus this change may only
reveal buggy frontends ;-).  Frontends should use the --batch key
generation with a parameter file and thus need to change the default
algorithm on their own (I already did this for GPA).

Here is the new prompt in standard mode:

  $ gpg2 -v --gen-key
  Please select what kind of key you want:
     (1) RSA and RSA (default)
     (2) DSA and Elgamal
     (3) DSA (sign only)
     (4) RSA (sign only)
  Your selection?
  RSA keys may be between 1024 and 4096 bits long.
  What keysize do you want? (2048)
  Requested keysize is 2048 bits
  Please specify how long the key should be valid.
  [...]

and here in expert mode which allows to select the subkey size:

  $ gpg2 -v --gen-key --expert
  Please select what kind of key you want:
     (1) RSA and RSA (default)
     (2) DSA and Elgamal
     (3) DSA (sign only)
     (4) RSA (sign only)
     (7) DSA (set your own capabilities)
     (8) RSA (set your own capabilities)
  Your selection?
  RSA keys may be between 1024 and 4096 bits long.
  What keysize do you want? (2048)
  Requested keysize is 2048 bits
  RSA keys may be between 1024 and 4096 bits long.
  What keysize do you want for the subkey? (2048)
  Requested keysize is 2048 bits
  Please specify how long the key should be valid.
  [...]

I hope this is okay.

Shalom-Salam,