Supressing Passphrase messages

nschroth ngschroth at
Tue Mar 2 22:19:12 CET 2010

Off and on over the months since I posted this, I have tried numerous ways to
supress the messages (without any luck).  I have asked others with stong
UNIX background, and no one can tell me how/why GPG somehow overrides the
redirection of both std in and std error into /dev/null.

I must assume since no one responded to my December post that none of you
have a clue what is going on.  I am still stumped and really could use some

nschroth wrote:
> On AIX, I am using the following command for decrypting:
>     /usr/local/bin/gpg --passphrase-file ./.gnupg/passphrase.txt -o
> The decryption works fine, but the end-user always sees the following
> verbage that messes up the screen:
>     Reading passphrase from file descriptor 3
>     You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
>     user: "`XXXX (comment) "
>     1024-bit ELG-E key, ID YYYYY, created 2009-10-19 (main key ID ZZZZZ)
> I also added > /dev/null 2>&1 to send the text to the bitbucket, but it
> still displays!!!

Sent from the GnuPG - Dev mailing list archive at