PKCS#11 in GnuPG (yes, again!)

Sébastien Lorquet sebastien.lorquet at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 10:55:09 CEST 2011

Please get the facts: There is PKCS#11 support for GnuPG.  See

> http://www.scute.org .
>
> The reason why GnuPG does not support smartcards which are only
> accessible due to proprietary pkcs#11 middleware should be well known:
> The GPL does not allow for this and even more relevant: We don't want to
> support proprietary applications.  Ask the vendors of those smartcards
> to release the specs and write a new module for scdaemon; if required.

nice piece of software, but what about the reverse, eg using other cards
with gnupg?

What about OpenSC? Was this already discussed in the past? They provide a
pkcs11 lib that may be usable. Or is the problem in the PKCS11 API itself?

Sebastien