[Gpg4win-devel] X509 Root certificates and trusting them

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Jun 22 10:18:31 CEST 2011

Am Mittwoch, 22. September 2010 10:01:13 schrieb Bernhard Reiter:
> Am Freitag, 21. Mai 2010 12:03:22 schrieb Bernhard Reiter:
> > The recommended way for a
> > production X509 /CMS system is that a list of trusted X509 root
> > certificates is maintained by the administrator of the system
> > directly for dirmngr and possibly the global gpgsm.
>
> For gpgsm to be able to use certificates,
> you need to have the full validated chain of certificates.
>
> [Forth edition]
>
> Especially for the root certificate, the person administrating
> the machines (e.g. you) must ensure four conditions are given.
> (Paths examples are for GNU systems,
> the paths will be different for Mac OS or Windows.)
>
> a) You need to have the root certificate and be sure that the file you have
>    is really the root certificate you would like to trust. You need to do
> this best at installation time, because later - in the heat of the moment -
> users will go along with everthing unchecked just to get the task done.
>
> b.1) Make sure dirmngr trusts the root certificate.
>    info dirmngr Installation
>    konqueror info:/dirmngr/Installation
>    http://gnupg.org/documentation/manuals/dirmngr/Installation.html
>
>    In short, recommended is to use the system dirmngr,
>    place the root certification file in .der format
>    in /etc/dirmngr/trusted-certs and restart the dirmngr service.
>
> b.2) Current revocation status information must be available.
>    gpgsm will ask dirmngr to validate each certificate.
>    As administrator you need to make sure that dirmngr can do that check.
>
>    Usually certificates contain information where to get the revocation
> list via http or ldap. So dirmngr should be able to do http and ldap calls
> to the internet. Secure connections are not necessary as revocation info is
> already signed.
>
>    You can tune dirmngr to use proxies or always ask specific servers
>    via ldap. There are a number of other ways, like OCSP, to get revocation
>    information. Too much to list them here. With sane certificate
> authorities and network settings it will just work with the revocation
> lists out of the box.
>
>    If you need to trouble shoot, you can turn off checking of revocation
>    information for a moment to verify that this is the problem. Leaving
> this off for production will degrade security significantly.
>
>    Users should have "prefer-system-dirmngr" in their local
>    gpgsm.conf (Usually ~/.gnupg/gpgsm.conf).
>    So that the system dirmngr is asked all the time.

Using the system dirmngr has the advantage that central administration
can approve root certificates for the most common communication partners
of the organisation. IT-Administration should do this in my view.

In addition for extra comfort of the users I believe that
well used intermediate certificates should be added to
   /var/lib/dirmngr/extra-certs/
and that common directories services should be configured in
  vim /etc/dirmngr/ldapservers.conf

(Don't forget to kick dirmngr after a change in configuration, e.g.
by restarting the service.)

--
Managing Director + Owner: www.Intevation.net <- A Free Software Company
Kolabsys.com: Board Member          FSFE.org: Founding GA Member