OpenPGP card specification 2.0 improvement?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed May 18 15:47:42 CEST 2011

On Wed, 18 May 2011 15:04, squalyl at gmail.com said:

> The spec could use this version, and require the previous verification of
> the pin by VERIFY PIN.

That would be an incompatible change and doesn't have any benefit.

> With the current spec, the actual length of the PIN shall be available
> somewhere. The current data only indicates the maximum length, thus implying
> the PIN length is variable, but CHANGE REFERENCE DATA does not allow this.

The length of the PIN is indeed variable.  Sure it allows that.

> Speaking of spec updates, I have more ideas, mainly the AID shall not
> contain the serial number and the card shall use files instead of data
> objects. Is a v3 spec planned for some day?

Nope.  The new ISO drafts even introduces extended object functions and
that is what we might use in the next revision.  There won't be a stupid
old file system interface.

Shalom-Salam,