Stable GnuPG: 1.4.12 vs 2.0.18

Gaetan Bisson bisson at archlinux.org
Mon Mar 19 07:20:14 CET 2012

Dear GnuPG developers,

Over at Arch Linux (see [1] and surrounding messages) we are slightly
confused by the statuses of GnuPG-1 and GnuPG-2, and more specifically
the following sentences:

	"1.4.12 is the stable version of GnuPG. (2.0.18 is the unstable
	development version)." [2]

	"We are pleased to announce the availability of a new stable
	GnuPG-2 release:  Version 2.0.18." [3]

We understand the GnuPG-2 branch is very different to GnuPG-1. Hence our
question: will you consider the GnuPG-2 branch as stable as GnuPG-1 some
day in the future, or is this already the case?

Cheers.

[1] http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2012-March/022704.html
[2] http://www.gnupg.org/download/release_notes.en.html
[3] http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-announce/2011q3/000312.html