Pinentry-mode

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Feb 7 21:14:16 CET 2013

Hi,

I just commited some changes to GnuPG and GPGME to support using GPG
without a Pinentry:

    This new features allows to use gpg without a Pinentry.  As a
    prerequisite the agent must be configured to allow the loopback
    pinentry mode (option --allow-loopback-pinentry).  For example

      gpg2 --pinentry-mode=loopback FILE.gpg

    may be used to decrypt FILE.gpg while entering the passphrase on the
    tty.  If batch is used, --passphrase et al. may be used, if
    --command-fd is used, the passphrase may be provided by another
    process.  Note that there are no try-again prompts in case of a bad
    passphrase.

GPGME now sports the function gpgme_set_pinentry_mode.  See
gpgme/src/gpgme-tool.c on how to use it.

I hope that this feature will make it easier to use GnuPG 2.1 on
non-desktop machines.  I have only tested decryption and signing and
thus other parts may not yet work.

Salam-Shalom,