--homedir in gnupg 2.1

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Apr 23 14:12:06 CEST 2014

On Wed, 23 Apr 2014 10:12, nicholas.cole at gmail.com said:

> I assume that works because gpg-agent sets appropriate environment
> variables, and that I could set it up so that it doesn't interfere

No, gpg since 2.1 (i.e. git master) uses the socket S.gpg-agent in the
GNUPGHOME directory by default.  Older versions used a random socket and
conveyed it via an envvar.  The new system is much easier and on Windows
on use for many years.  The only drawback is that it won't work on
certain remote file systems - if that ever turns out to be a problem we
will find a solution.  With 2.0 you may also use the fixed socket name
approach by putting "use-standard-socket" into gpg-agent.conf or a
similar configure option.  My  latest fix to start it correctly is not
in 2.0; could be backported, though

> So just to be clear, I would need to:
>
> start a new agent with a non-standard --homedir
> make sure that GPG_AGENT_INFO is set

With the latest change you better make sure that GPG_AGENT_INFO is not
set.

> start gpg with the non-standard --homedir

My tests showed that it worked really nice.  It will also help to make
the tests suite more robust.

Salam-Shalom,