[Pkg-gnupg-maint] Why 2.1 is delayed for so long

Chuck Peters cp at axs.org
Wed Oct 1 13:19:02 CEST 2014

Daniel Kahn Gillmor said:

> I've packaged the latest beta for gnupg 2.1, with the idea of shipping
> it in debian experimental, but i'm reluctant to distribute it in debian
> yet for a couple reasons (which i'll go into below, thanks for prompting
> me to write this up).

Great, I look forward to trying it out.  I would also like to make it
available in a Launchpad PPA for other Ubuntu users to try out.

> If you want to build and install it yourself, you should be able to do
> so from git (the repo is about 25MiB):
>
>  git clone git://anonscm.debian.org/pkg-gnupg/gnupg2.git
>  cd gnupg2
>  git checkout upstream-2.1
>  git checkout pristine-tar
>  git checkout experimental
>  git-buildpackage -uc -us
>
> This should produce .deb files for you in ../

On Ubuntu Trusty, or 14.04, and we have dependency issues with curl and
the older libgnutls.  When I build the beta with ./configure ; make ;
make install it works fine except that I needed to install the newer
libgpg-error-dev and libgpg-error0 from Debian.  In 2007 Eric Dorland
added the libcurl4-gnutls-dev build dep.

  * debian/control:
    - Add libcurl4-gnutls-dev build dep, to use the real curl.

I haven't figure out why we need to the older GnuTLS yet and I would
like to minimize the number of depends in the PPA to avoid other
possible issues.  Do you have any suggestions?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, for example are you planning on
including a gpgtar man page?

Thanks,
Chuck

cp at ubuntu:~/gitbuild/gnupg2$ git-buildpackage -uc -us
 dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -D -us -uc -i -I
dpkg-buildpackage: source package gnupg2
dpkg-buildpackage: source version 2.1.0~beta834-1
dpkg-buildpackage: source distribution experimental
dpkg-buildpackage: source changed by Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg at fifthhorseman.net>
 dpkg-source -i -I --before-build gnupg2
dpkg-buildpackage: host architecture amd64
dpkg-source: info: using options from gnupg2/debian/source/options: --compression=bzip2 --compression-level=9
dpkg-checkbuilddeps: Unmet build dependencies: automake1.11 ghostscript libbz2-dev libcurl4-gnutls-dev libusb-dev texinfo transfig
dpkg-buildpackage: warning: build dependencies/conflicts unsatisfied; aborting
dpkg-buildpackage: warning: (Use -d flag to override.)
debuild: fatal error at line 1364:
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -D -us -uc -i -I failed
gbp:error: Couldn't run 'debuild -i -I -uc -us': debuild -i -I returned 29
cp at ubuntu:~/gitbuild/gnupg2$ sudo apt-get install automake1.11 ghostscript libbz2-dev libcurl4-gnutls-dev libusb-dev texinfo transfig
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

 libcurl4-gnutls-dev : Depends: libgnutls-dev but it is not going to be installed
                       Depends: librtmp-dev but it is not going to be installed