2.1.0~beta864 bugfixes

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Oct 9 10:47:38 CEST 2014

On Tue,  7 Oct 2014 20:54, dkg at fifthhorseman.net said:

> upgrading gpg-agent:

> socket" isn't in use, and will launch their own gpg-agent, so you'll
> have both of them running in parallel.  This is suboptimal, but probably
> not a terrible outcome.

Indeed, it should not harm and it is easier to expect a user to restart
the session than to code around the problem and late be bugged with
race conditions.

> gpg: starting migration from earlier GnuPG versions
> gpg: error: GnuPG agent version "2.0.26" is too old.
> gpg: Please install an updated GnuPG agent.
> gpg: migration aborted
> 2 foo at alice:~$
>
> This happens even though the updated agent is *installed*, but it just
> happens to not be running.  The wording is slightly misleading, but the

I see whether I can up with a different wording.

> I'm also a little bit concerned that gpg 1.4.x will *not* try to start
> up a gpg-agent by default if it does not find one running, which means
> effectively that we still need to launch a gpg-agent during X11 session
> startup when use-agent is set, just to be sure that gpg1 users have a

I suggest to use

  gpg-connect-agent /bye

or better the new

  gpgconf --launch gpg-agent

> for users who have moved entirely to gpg 2.1.0.  This transitional work
> is the cost of supporting multiple versions simultaneously, though, and
> we seem to be committed to doing that, at least in the jessie timeframe,
> so we need to get at least the dual keyring issue sorted out.

I'll take care of this.

Salam-Shalom,