System wide dirmngr configuration with Gnupg 2.1

Andre Heinecke aheinecke at intevation.de
Thu Jan 29 17:54:29 CET 2015

Hi,

On Monday, January 26, 2015 12:17:25 PM Andre Heinecke wrote:
> > This is is a pretty common configuration pattern for other (non-gnupg)
> > tools.  In fact, i've often wished for it for gnupg itself, so that
> > sysadmins could tweak a generic /etc/gnupg/gpg.conf for all their users.
> > Is there a specific reason why gpg doesn't support this configuration
> > pattern?
>
> Werner? Could you comment on this?

I'd still be interested why not. It could be overriden imho when --homedir or
GNUPGHOME is set explicitly to still allow "clean" configurations.

> Right. I think this is the best approach at least for trusted CA's. As it's
> standard practice to have them defined on a system level first and then
> merge those with the users choices.

Actually the trustlist.txt format allows for this as it merges the
trustlist.txt from /etc/gnupg/ with the one in the home dir.

I misunderstood the issue here. It turns out that the certificates under
trusted-certs are not actually trusted certs so it's apperently not a problem
that the sysconfig trusted-certs are ignored with gnupg2.1.

I assumed that they were needed because our internal procedure for adding a
Root certificate was to add the fingerprint to /etc/gnupg/trustlist.txt and the
certificate itself to /etc/dirmngr/trusted-certs that this was somehow needed.
Yet during testing I noticed now that it is not required to have a trusted-
certificate in the trusted-certs folder at all.

<to quote dirmngrs manpage about the trusted-certs dir>
This  directory  should  be  filled with certificates of Root CAs you are
trusting in checking the CRLS and signing OCSP Reponses.
</end quote>

But still I get a valid signature if I just add my root CA's fingerprint to the
trustlist.txt even with CRL checks enabled.

Sorry for my confusion but at least the name "trusted-certs" is a bit
suboptimal if those certificates are not involved in trust decisions. ;-)

I still don't really understand  the purpose of the trusted-certs directory
and would be grateful for an explanation. I currently think that it is there
to allow cases where CRL's are signed by certificates that are not in a trusted
in chains rooted in certificates from the trustlist.txt file. But in that case
the second Sentence in the manual for the trusted-certs directory does not
make much sense: "Usually these are the same certificates you use with the
applications making use of dirmngr." By which I think the root ca's from the
trustlist.txt are meant.

Best regards,
Andre
--