Interoperability with OpenPGP crypto-refresh

Bruce Walzer bwalzer at 59.ca
Thu Feb 2 05:19:21 CET 2023

On Wed, Feb 01, 2023 at 07:42:38PM +0100, Kai Engert via Gnupg-devel wrote:
[...]
> Does that mean, if Thunderbird wants to remain compatible with all major
> implementations, then Thunderbird must stay at the functional level of RFC
> 4880, and must not use any functionality from newer specifications, neither
> from the upcoming IETF crypto-refresh, nor items that were added in RFC
> 4880bis on top of RFC 4880?

That sounds like a reasonable approach to me. Sometimes consensus can not be reached. Then changes are not really possible or practical. What exactly would the downside for Thunderbird be here? There certainly doesn't seem to be any huge crisis at this point in time. Perhaps another attempt can be made in 5 years or so with a better controlled process. The issues might be better defined by then and the focus would be sharper.

Bruce