GNU GPL for doc -- Why?

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 16:36:36 +0100

On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, IIDA Yosiaki wrote:

> I see GPH is covered by GNU GPL. GNU GPL is specially
> designed for program, not for document.
Right, however because this handbook is close related to some software, using the GPH is not that a bad idea. There are quite a couple of books out, which use the GPL.
> Why isn't it covered by permission notice like one in
> other manuals published by FSF?
RMS is working on a documenation license however he suggested to use the GPL for the handbook.
Some of the optional features makes this not a good choice. Regarding your translation, we should ask RMS. Can you please do this and CC me and Mike <jashley@acm.org>. Werner