Public Keys, key-IDs and User-IDs -- more info

Felix Karpfen felkarp@pcug.org.au
Sat, 12 Aug 2000 07:02:14 +1000

On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, Sam Roberts wrote:

> Quoting Felix Karpfen <felkarp@pcug.org.au>, who wrote:
> >
> > The public key in question is D3498839. While a search query
> > readily lists the key, the download fails.
>
> $ gpg -v --recv-key d3498839
> gpg: key D3498839: skipped user ID 'Jan "Yenya" Kasprzak <kas@fi.muni.cz>'
>
> Download appears to work, doesn't look like it belongs to a Felix
> Karpfen, though.
>
> What algorithm did you use to generate the key? What does
>
> $ gpg --list-key d3498839

My thanks to both Anthony Davies and Sam Roberts for their replies. The obtained downloaded key is correct. I had tried the routine on a Public key that was of interest but not my own. It looks as though there are significant gaps in my current understanding that I would welcome to have explained to me. My attempt to download the key - which failed - read: $gpg --recv-keys 0xD3498839 I also attempted to copy the key from the web-page to a file and then import the file. It also failed. It probably all relates to the fact that the key is an RSA key - something I still need to learn about. Meanwhile, many thanks for the prompt reply -- Felix Karpfen felkarp@pcug.org.au -- Archive is at http://lists.gnupg.org - Unsubscribe by sending mail with a subject of "unsubscribe" to gnupg-users-request@gnupg.org