PGP 5.0 compatibility

David G. Wonnacott davew@cs.haverford.edu
22 Aug 2000 20:43:38 -0000

I imagine this question must get asked a lot on this list, but I can't
find the answer in the Privacy Handbook or the Mini-HOWTO, and the
PGP5-GnuPG HOWTO explicitly states that it is only for pre-1.0 gpg.
My question is:

   How do I read messages/files encrypted with PGP 5.0 using GPG?
   Is this even possible?  The web page suggests it should be.

I am not sure whether I need to (a) export my key from pgp and import
it into GPG somehow or simply (b) have GPG use my PGP keys.

For (a), I tried the "pgpk -x | gpg --import" command suggested in the
PGP5-GnuPG HOWTO, but I got a message about it not having a user id,
and the key was not listed when I tried to check with gpg --show-keys.

For (b), the best I've gotten so far is with

   gpg --keyring ~/.pgp/pubring.pkr --secret-keyring ~/.pgp/secring.skr --decrypt file.pgp

This does correctly identify the key used in encryption, and lists me
as the owner of the key, but gives up with:

   gpg: public key decryption failed: unknown pubkey algorithm
   gpg: decryption failed: secret key not available

I'd like to be able to read old stuff without having to keep
instal both GPG and PGP or hunt down all old messages and convert them
from PGP to GPG.  Thanks for any suggestions,

						Dave Wonnacott
						davew@cs.haverford.edu