pass phrase

Johan Wevers johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 23:50:58 +0100 (MET)

You, Chuck Robey, wrote:

> I know very little yet about security, but could someone please tell me
> what security justification there is for making access to the passphrase
> so difficult?
Because on multi-user systems other methods are easier to compromise the password: for example, if you could enter it on the command line, a simple ps -ax would reveal it on many unices. On the other hand, the fd method is also not 100% secure, on some systems users can access this information. Examples on how to use this method in perl scripts exist in the pgp 2.6 documentation. I can mail the relevant parts to you if you're interested. I have also once implemented this in a C++ program that I can also mail (the programming is very sloppy compared to my current standards, but the techniques can be easily copied). -- ir. J.C.A. Wevers // Physics and science fiction site: johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl // http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html PGP public keys at http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/pgpkeys.html