signing probmems (GPG 1.0.1 -> PGP 6.5.1)

David Sexton david.sexton@sapphire.net
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 10:20:59 +0000

Werner Koch wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, David Sexton wrote:
>
> > I can GPG sign a file and PGP verify it on the PC. But when I sign a
> > file on the Cobalt and transfer it, PGP complains that it has a bad
> > signature (but GPG doesn't).
>
> (You did use binary mode for transfering the file to the PC by FTP)
>
> GnuPG has some workaround to cope with not stripped trailing spaces in
> textfiles.
Well, the PC's running Linux also, so ASCII mode shouldn't be a prob. I have since checked and done an md5 checksum on both of the files on both machines (and they match), so I can't understand what is going wrong. Here's what I am doing: ------------ [on the Cobalt] gpg -a --export TEST > test.key pgp -u TEST --clearsign file.txt <FTP test.key & file.txt.asc> [on the PC] gpg --import test.key --> OK gpg file.txt.asc --> OK pgp -ka test.key --> OK pgp file.txt.asc I get the error: File is signed. WARNING: Bad signature, doesn't match file contents! Bad signature from user "TEST". ----------- Am I doing something wrong/stupid here? Any help would be appreciated. Regards, Dave -- David Sexton Network Technician Sapphire Technologies Ltd. Tel: +44 (0) 1642 702100 Fax: +44 (0) 1642 702119 ----------------------------------------------- Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the individual and not necessarily the company. This message and any files transmitted with it are confidential and solely for the use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this message in error and that any use is strictly prohibited. Sapphire Internet http://www.sapphire.net