GnuPG manual doubt

J Horacio MG (Horacio)
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 11:13:26 +0100

while doing the Spanish translation of the manual, I've found something
I'm stack with.  For the options s2k-digest-algo and s2k-mode the
synopsis says:

  set the message digest algorithm for mangling passphrases

  sets how passphrases are mangled

It would help me if anyone could give me a brief explanation of it, as I
can't think of the meaning for "mangling" here.

Also, could anyone tell me what does "adding salt to a passphrase" mean?
(the translation of "salt" is ok, just like the element).

Horacio					Anno MMDCCLIII ad Urbe condita			Valencia - ESPAŅA
Key fingerprint = F4EE AE5E 2F01 0DB3 62F2  A9F4 AD31 7093 4233 7AE6