suggestions surrounding key generating

Stefan H. Holek stefan@epy.co.at
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 14:31:41 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Frank Tobin wrote:

> The expiration is stored in a self-signatures. Signatures are considered
> additive by keyservers, so one can have multiple expirations on one key.

> How the OpenPGP implementation handles multiple situations is up to the
> implementation, if I'm not mistaken. Two reasonable choices could be
> made; consider only the shortest expiration, or consider the expiration
> that was most recently created.
Here is what the RFC says: I finally found the stuff ;) 5.2.4.1. Subpacket Hints ... It is certainly possible for a signature to contain conflicting information in subpackets. For example, a signature may contain multiple copies of a preference or multiple expiration times. In most cases, an implementation SHOULD use the last subpacket in the signature, but MAY use any conflict resolution scheme that makes more sense. Please note that we are intentionally leaving conflict resolution to the implementer; most conflicts are simply syntax errors, and the wishy-washy language here allows a receiver to be generous in what they accept, while putting pressure on a creator to be stingy in what they generate. -- Archive is at http://lists.gnupg.org - Unsubscribe by sending mail with a subject of "unsubscribe" to gnupg-users-request@gnupg.org