can't decrypt symmetrically encrypted files from PGP

Mark Koek mark.koek@stelvio.nl
Thu Aug 23 17:59:01 2001

Werner Koch <wk@gnupg.org> wrote:

> Use
>
> gpg --load-extension idea --cipher-algo idea
>
> but you need the idea extension, but:
>
> * DUE TO PATENT CLAIMS THE DISTRIBUTION OF THE SOFTWARE IS
> * NOT ALLOWED IN THESE COUNTRIES:
> * AUSTRIA, FRANCE, GERMANY, ITALY, JAPAN, THE
> * NETHERLANDS, SPAIN, SWEDEN, SWITZERLAND, THE UK AND
> * THE US.
OK, so I just nipped across the border to Belgium to get the extension. But it still doesn't work: $ gpg -vv test.txt.pgp gpg: Warning: using insecure memory!
:encrypted data packet:
length: 45 gpg: loaded digest 3 gpg: /home/mark/.gnupg/idea: IDEA ($Revision: 1.11 $) gpg: BLOWFISH encrypted data gpg: decryption failed: bad key (the test file is attached to my previous message to the list) If I follow your instructions completely the result is still bad: $ gpg --load-extension .gnupg/idea --cipher-algo idea -vv \ test.txt.pgp gpg: Warning: using insecure memory! gpg: .gnupg/idea: IDEA ($Revision: 1.11 $) gpg: loaded cipher 1 (IDEA) gpg: /home/mark/.gnupg/idea: IDEA ($Revision: 1.11 $) gpg: skipping cipher 1: already loaded
:encrypted data packet:
length: 45 gpg: loaded digest 3 gpg: IDEA encrypted data gpg: decryption failed: bad key Thanks, Mark