revoking user id

Peter Kuhm peter.kuhm@plus.at
Tue Dec 18 23:20:01 2001

At 13:07 18.12.01 -0800, David Ellement wrote:

>I recently attempted to revoke an invalid user ID from my public
>key, using "revsig" in the --edit-keys menu.  The revocation failed,
>with the following error message:
>
>gpg: fatal: idea encryption failed
>
>I had signed the user ID with my old RSA key.  I ended up using PGP5
>to revoke the invalid user ID, and re-importing the key into gpg.
>Should it have been possible to revoke the user ID in gpg?

IDEA is patented, needs a license and therefore not part of GnuPG. However
the non-commercial use of this algorithm is free. Windoze users can
use idea.dll. Below are some related links. The 3rd page links also to a
| idea.tar.gz - IDEA unix source (6kb)

http://www.mediacrypt.com/engl/Content/patent_info.htm
http://www.winpt.org/idea.html
http://disastry.dhs.org/pgp/gpg.htm