Signing files from a script in batch

George Sinclair gsinclair@nodc.noaa.gov
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 11:52:47 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

Yes, a billionth question on batch jobs!

I'm running GNUPG version 1.0.4 (patched) on a Sun Solaris box. I'm a
newbie on the whole gnupg batch thing. Here's the deal: I have a Perl
script that at some point needs to be able to sign a file, thus
requiring the user's pass-phrase to unlock his/her secret key. Clearly,
this is trivial, but how can the user submit the script in batch mode
to run at a later time? Obviously, he or she won't be around to enter
the pass-phrase when it's needed, and I don't want to pass this
pass-phrase as a clear text parameter to the script.

Is there a way the pass-phrase could be asked for ahead of time and
then held in secure memory, somehow?  Any thoughts on this matter would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

George Sinclair | gsinclair@nodc.noaa.gov