DSA/ElGamal key not usable by PGP v7 (imports but won't encrypt)

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Thu Nov 1 11:36:02 2001

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001 13:05:08 -0800, Steve Butler said:

> attempting to encrypt data to send to us is unable to use the new public
> key.  They have PGP v7.  It attempts to encrypt but then blows up.  Their
> PGP support claims they don't support interaction with OpenPG.

I have seen a couple of these issues in the last time, but don't know
what the problem with PGP 7 is.  However those reports are about
problems _decrypting_ with PGP7.

> I've seen the notes about Type 16 versus Type 20 ElGamal.  However, I'm
> unable to determine which type we have and how to change it to the other
> type (without invalidating our public keys for all the other folks).

You can't change it

> pub  1024D
> sub  2048g

A small 'g' denotes type 16 (encrypt only) whereas a capital 'G'
denotes type 20 (sign+encrypt).

PGP should be able to use this key as this is the standard OpenPGP
key.

  Werner