HOWTO Revoke a key without having any backup of the key pair ????

Chris Niekel chris@niekel.net
Wed Feb 13 20:13:01 2002

--1EKig6ypoSyM7jaD

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 03:11:41PM +0100, Sebastian Wiesinger wrote:
> * Franck PERREAU <franck.perreau@cw.com> [2002-02-13 14:49]:
> > Unfortunatelly, I haven't done such a revocation certificate :(
> >=20
> > But I guess there must be some system administrator/moderators or so for
> > these key server, right ?
> >=20
> > Someone somewhere must exist to give me some help on this :)
> > no ?
>=20
> If you don't have a revocation certificate, there is no way to mark
> your key as invalid. And the administrators of the keyservers will not
> remove your key. Why? Because there is now way to verify you as the
> valid owner of the key. They won't remove the key. (Not mentioning

I'm glad I made a revocation key. But the point that there's no way to
know it's you could be partially wrong.

If I have my key signed by another person, he knows the key is owned by
me. So he should be able to vouch that I own the key. Ofcourse, you
can't trust the signer to be speaking for the real person (he/she could
be speaking for you without you knowing), but maybe something that works
could be devised?=20

Ofcourse, the easiest thing is to create a new key, and change your email
address, so that people will fetch the new key. Although sometimes
changing your email address is not easy. :)

Greetings,
    Chris Niekel

--=20
    I've been down so long, if I'd cheer up, I'd still be depressed.
            - Lisa Simpson, Moanin' Lisa Blues.

--1EKig6ypoSyM7jaD

--1EKig6ypoSyM7jaD--