FYI patent application 20010055396

Paul Holman pablos@kadrevis.com
Sat Jan 5 10:27:02 2002

I believe David Jevans works for Valicert.

This patent application certainly has some disturbing claims.  Many of
which should be easily disputed as PGP could stand for prior art.
Especially trying to claim the basics of using multiple keys, and then
encroaching upon what sounds like threshold crypto or Blakely-Shamir "k
of n" keysplitting.  Relaying keys off a server is hardly novel.  Being
able to send additional decryption keys (coincidental acronym?) to the
server might come off as seeming handy, but it is probably pointless.
Technically, I could do that now with S/MIME.

Also, the patent application seems a bit immature to me.  Why would you
explicitly and separately claim that symmetric and asymmetric cyphers
are covered?  Nobody uses asymmetric cyphers to encrypt messages, just
keys.  They're too slow.  Maybe he thinks that will change.

Then again, if all this can be done in GPG, why don't we encrypt this
list?

pablos.

--
Paul Holman