problems with trusting in key --recipient or --default-recipient

akorthaus@web.de akorthaus@web.de
Wed Jun 5 12:09:01 2002

Hallo!

For my first question the answer was really easy, but the second one seems
to be more difficult.

> I'll leave your second question to others who know more about the key
> trust. I think it has to do with something about setting ultimate trust
> on your own key, but I'm not sure.

> For the solution to your first question, are you ready for the ultimate
> forehead slapper?
>

> mysqldump database | gzip | gpg --homedir /www/.gnupg -o
>    output.gz.pgp -e --default-recipient andreas

perhaps someone knows why the following problem occours, if I
choose --recipient instead of --default-recipient(which I´ve never chosen
somewhere, I have just tried out:-)) With --default-recipient everything
works without any problem, but is it correct? Because there will be a reason
for the following dialog in the commadnd-line, if I just take --recipient:

> >2. I did not write --recipient, but --default-recipient. I only did so,
> >because if I only write --recipient, there is asked:

>>>gpg: Warning: using insecure memory!
>>>Could not find a valid trust path to the key.  Let's see whether we
>>>can assign some missing owner trust values.

>>>No path leading to one of our keys found.

>>>1024g/DFF7F6EF 2002-06-03 "andreas <akorthaus@web.de>"
>>>            Fingerprint: 0776 4804 3333 321E E4B4  366E 3ABA 3411 DFF7
FFE7

>>>It is NOT certain that the key belongs to its owner.
>>>If you *really* know what you are doing, you may answer
>>>the next question with yes

>>>Use this key anyway?

> >If I answer 'yes', everything is OK and works perfectly. Is it correct to
use --default-recipient, or should I
> >worry about this? The problem is, that I will not use this in
command-line later on, but from a PHP-Script!

-- Andreas