moving gpg to another PC

Nic Ferrier nferrier@tapsellferrier.co.uk
Sat May 4 21:01:02 2002

"R. Bradley Tilley" <rtilley@vt.edu> replied:
> It's permissions
> ============================
> .gnupg directory is	700
> options file is 		664
> pubring.gpg file is 	664
> random_seed file is 	600
> secring.gpg file is	600
> trustdb file is		664
>
> Place the .gnupg directory into
> the users home directory and
> chown and chgrp to that user.
> Be sure the permissions match
> the ones above.
> ============================

No. It isn't permissions. I copied the dir with the correct
permissions and it still doesn't work. When one does:

  gpg --list-keys

on both machines the key ids are very clearly different.

Attempting to:

  gpg -d somefile-enrypted-by-old-key

on the new machine fails with the statement:

  gpg: decryption failed: secret key not available
  gpg: [don't know]: invalid packet (ctb=50)

whereas on the old machine it's fine.

Any more ideas?

Nic